Photo by Keith Michael
- Follow freepicker on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- America wasn’t a democracy until black Americans made it one.
- Almost 100K people have signed an online petition to rename the street by Trump Tower after President Obama—if the request is granted (which sadly seems unlikely), Trump Tower’s new address would be 725 President Barack H. Obama Ave.
- Same-sex penguin couples keep adopting eggs at the Berlin Zoo, enchanting the city in the process.
- In more penguin news: New Zealand scientists say that they’ve discovered evidence that extinct monster penguins about the size of an adult human used to swim the oceans some 60 million years ago.
- Food delivery apps are reshaping the restaurant industry — and how we eat — by inspiring digital-only establishments that don’t need a dining room or waiters.
- Some important perspective going into 2020: “McGovern Didn’t Lose in 1972 by Going Too Far Left. Neither Will 2020 Democrats.”
- A New York woman who has waited decades to publicly accuse a Catholic priest of rape kicked off more than 100 lawsuits filed today after a new state law opened a one-year “look back” window for sexual-abuse survivors to seek justice.
- Is the male birth control pill ever coming?
- High Maintenance co-creator Ben Sinclair curated an amazing YouTube playlist of bizarre, funny, and weird videos.
- A$AP Rocky has been found guilty of assault and handed a conditional sentence after he was involved in a street brawl in Stockholm.
- The NY Times has five NYC hikes to recommend.
- The best thing about late-summer? It’s finally tomato season.
- Sara Tirschwell accused her Wall Street boss of misconduct, but that was just the beginning of her troubles.
- This is the most Drake thing I’ve ever read.
- And finally, I wish my best friend was a duck too:
friends come in all shapes and sizes
(ducksmakegreatpets IG) pic.twitter.com/fdjirTcXoQ
— Humor And Animals (@humorandanimals) August 12, 2019